Wednesday, March 01, 2006

I thought I would write something terribly clever, oohing and aahing over my own magnificence. Oh yeah, I thought to myself, come out with a kicker.
But it didn’t happen.
Swansea has seen some snow this season.
And when I wrote that I decided that I was being a bit too clever. Consonance and assonance and all that. But I don’t owe this cleverness to myself. No, I owe it to Mrs. Nathani of school, who set us exercise after exercise of metonymy and synecdoche, made us go through entire chapters of the ubiquitous Bose & Sterling book of rhetoric and prosody.
I did not know that some seeds were being sown.
But there I go being clever again.
Cynghanedd and englyn- what Nigel, my poetry tutor calls Welsh S & M. Singing in chains. Singing songs in chains of silk.
I was not trying to be clever, honest.
In my own roundabout, half bureaucratic way, I suppose I am thanking Mrs. N- wherever she may be, for instilling a love of language into me. Not literature- although it was she who introduced me to Keats- but language. Sounds. Phonetics. Ejukashun.
Creating links between rudra and red; me and mein. What’s mine is mine; what’s yours is also mein. English as an absorbent, evolving entity.
There I go again- and without even trying!
Diolch I Mrs. Nathani.
I owe you so much.

20 comments:

anup.777 said...

hiya CA,
I guess we blog buddies also owe her a lot! ... :)

The Individualist said...

Whew. English is such a beautiful language. If some girl were named English, I'd marry her without thinking twice. :p

Living On Video said...

"What’s mine is mine; what’s yours is also mein."

Loved that line.. :)

Prmod Bafna said...

Hmmm.. you seem to be having good fun with your command on the language and tossing the words here, there and everywhere! haha good fun! :)

: M : said...

@ anup- eh? why do u say so? i hope u didnt mind the last pompous comment i left fr u

: M : said...

@ the individualist- i know a poet called lucy english:D

: M : said...

@ l.o.v- yeah it goes well with the absorbent nature of english.

: M : said...

@ xfreakx- i suppose i was

AlterinG Abhishek said...

But Tell me one thing!
how all does coffee affect your life

I mean I knoe of ppl who just LUHHHVE Coffee

but like how much addicted ae you
;-))

Φ said...

Hindustan Zindabad.. :D

:P

: M : said...

@ abhishek- i love coffee as well; but i like tea too! caffeine is probably my muse.

: M : said...

vinx- droll eh??

Inkblot said...

Suddenly school and wren and martin came flashing back-had forgotten the term synecdoche existed!

Chris E said...

Great to have found another Swansea blogger.

: M : said...

@ inkblot- humph! i dont think the term existed in wren n martin;

: M : said...

@ the pig's lip - yes; ditto.

anup.777 said...

i think u misunderstood me ... I just wanted to convey that we bloggers are enjoying ur poems/thoughts probably becoz' of the seeds she sowed in u .... that's why we too owe her a lot ...

And buddy, I never found any of ur comments pompous ... I would have told ya if I felt negative vibes in any way ...

C ya!

: M : said...

@ anup- i meant the comment to my last post; not this one.

anup.777 said...

cool.. check out my reply over there... :)

: M : said...

awrite